• Find Us: 5626 N 91st Street, Ste. 203 Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53225
  • Contact Us: Phone Number: 414-461-2331 Fax Number: 414-461-2332
  • Business Hours Monday to Friday 8:00 - 5:00pm
happy senior couple


Get answers to your Frequently Asked Questions.

What services does Highlander Home Health Care provide?
We provide in-home personal care services for those physically disabled individuals who need help with ADL’s to enable the person to live as normal as possible. Highlander will work with you to develop a plan of care to assist you with your ADL’s needs as determined by your condition and your primary physician’s orders.
How do I apply for home care services?
You need to fill out an application and sign a release of healthcare information. You also have to sign an MD order for your primary care physician’s assessment. Once the information is received, an assessment visit will be scheduled by one of our Registered Nurses. Through this, we evaluate your need for home care services. During the assessment, the patient and family need to fully cooperate with the nurse for them to make a complete and accurate assessment. Please provide all the necessary medical information to ensure you get the best care possible.
What are the qualifications for personal care services?
You must be 11 years of age or older. Also, you must have a medical need and be functionally limited in providing care for yourself such as bathing, dressing, grooming, light housekeeping, and cooking. The assessment nurse will contact the patient to schedule an assessment that will take approximately 1-2 hours.
How do I know how many hours I can qualify?
The number of hours varies and depends on your health conditions, abilities, MD approval, insurance approval, and your physical needs. The number of hours and care plan will be updated every 50 to 60 days as needed to ensure the best and appropriate care is provided.
Can I have my friend or family member to be my caretaker or PCW?
Yes, Highlander will honor your decision to choose a friend or relative whom you trust and are comfortable with to provide care for you. However, that person cannot be legally responsible for you, such as a parent of a minor or a legal guardian. That person will need to go through a hiring process with Highlander which will require him/her to fill out an application, pass a background check, and get TB screening. If the potential employee is accepted, orientation and training are required. That PCW will then work under the supervision of your RN Case Manager.
Do I have to pay out of my pocket or will services be covered by my insurance?
In most cases, your insurance or state Medicaid (T-19) and HMO will pay for the services. If you do not have insurance or Medicaid (T-19), you can apply to your County Health and Human Service Department. We also accept private pay and our intake service personnel will work with you to ensure you get proper information and help.
What kinds of insurance does Highlander Home Health Care accept?
Highlander is currently only accepting Medicaid (T-19) and its HMOs: United Health Care (UHC), Molina Health Care (MHS), Network Health Plan (NHP), Molina Health Care, Milwaukee County Family Care, Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield, and ICare.
Can I change my insurance or HMO Health Plan?
Yes, but you must inform Highlander of any changes to your health insurance. Failure to do so may result in an interruption of services or discharge from Highlander. For patients who would like to change their Medicaid insurance or HMO Health Plan, call +1-800-291-2002 and press 1 to speak with a representative.
What should I do when I do not have the kind of insurance that Highlander can accept?

Call the phone number on the back of your insurance card and ask to see which other agencies accepts your health insurance for home care services.

If you have any questions that have not been answered here, then please call us at 414-461-2331.